Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Recipes, Part 2

This week, I wanted a traditional chicken, potatoes, and green beans meal. So, I searched online for good, simple chicken and green bean recipes, and I found one for each that are fabulous:

Chicken: Baked Chicken with Olive Oil and Fresh Lemon

2 chicken breasts, halved (I just bought the chicken breast fillets)
2 tbsp. safflower oil (I used canola oil, and I'm sure it worked just as well. If i can avoid spending $4 on something food related, I do.)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. tarragon
Remove skin from chicken breasts; debone (if needed). Combine safflower oil (or canola oil), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and tarragon; pour over chicken. Marinate 20 minutes. Bake 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until done. Baste frequently during baking (I did every 7 minutes).

Mistakes I made during this process: If you buy fillets, then they're already "halved." You don't need to cut them in half. Also, get a baster (brush) to actually be able to baste during the cooking process. I poured instead, which worked just fine, I'm sure the correct way of doing things is better though.

Green Beans: http://dinner-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/fresh_green_beans

-1/2-1 lb Fresh Green Beans
-2 tbsp olive oil
-2 cloves garlic
-2 tbsp minced onion (I didn't have onion when I made them, so I added a little onion salt. They were just fine.)
-salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Fill a large pot with water, and bring it to a boil.While it is heating prepare the green beans for cooking.I like to do so by simply snapping off both ends and leaving the beans whole.If you prefer smaller pieces, snap the beans into inch-long, bite size pieces.When the water is boiling, turn the stove to medium-high and add the fresh beans.Boil for no more than 45 seconds if you are making ½ lb of beans or if the pieces are very small, and no more than 2 minutes if there is a larger quantity or the beans are whole. Drain the beans in a colander. If you are not sautee'ing them immediately, rinse them under ice cold water to stop the cooking process.
In a large sauté pan or a wok, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.Add the garlic, onion, and green beans together and sauté only 2-3 minutes, or until the garlic and onion are lightly cooked.The beans should still be tender-crisp and retain a fresh flavor.Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.Serve while still hot.Enjoy!

Potatoes:
2lbs red or new potatoes

Boil in boiling water for 10-20 minutes


It took me about 2 hours to cook all of this, but then again I'm new to this whole cooking process. Your place of residence will smell like garlic for the remainder of the evening, but the dinner is FABULOUS. My favorite thing I've made so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment